- This is a semester long “live” data analytics project, designed by the corporate partner in consultation with MSBAPM faculty.
- Using the skill sets of data visualization, predictive modeling, data management, process modeling, and data mining techniques, students will investigate a real problem through data analytics, and will use their project management skills to complete the project within time and budget constraints.
- This innovative approach provides an opportunity for students to focus their knowledge and skills on solving problems identified by the partner company. This is a formal class, and therefore participation is mandatory.
- Classes are about 40 to 60 students formed into 7 or 8 teams. Project work is graded and is a requirement for graduation.
Data Challenges or Hackathons
- Data Challenges are short-term (up to 6 weeks) data exploration events where MSBAPM students are challenged to solve real company problems exploring novel datasets. It is voluntary on the part of students to participate in Data Challenges. Students form teams and register to participate; past challenges have had anywhere from 12 to 60 teams.
- Hackathons are similar but run over a shorter duration, typically a single weekend.
- Consulting Projects have flexible time frames, based on their scope. Students apply to participate, their resumes are reviewed and a team or teams are formed based on desired experience.
- Typically, a team is comprised of 6 multi-disciplinary students who will utilize their various skills in data analytics to approach a business problem presented by the corporate partner. A faculty advisor will act as consult, as needed, and guide teams through the duration of the project.
Benefits for the Partnering Company
Receive an in-depth analysis of the defined area of concern leading to productive outcomes, and a heightened capability to solve extremely challenging problems in a high-pressure, deadline-driven, results-oriented team environment.
Benefit from the opportunity to preview our best MSBAPM candidates to enhance your talent pipeline.
Past partner companies have reported substantial cost-savings resulting from implementation of our students’ recommendations.